Greystones Cancer Support was represented at the conference last week end.
It was a very successful conference with lots of excellent speakers and workshops.
The conference was addressed by Simon Harris, Minister for Health.
Here are some of the points that he made, including tribute to work of support groups.
- Tribute to the strength and resilience of cancer patients and those who care for them.
- We now treat the whole person, not just the medical condition.
- Our 5 year cancer survival rate has now improved greatly.
- We will be the first country in the whole world to have no tobacco advertising.
- We also have an obesity problem which needs to be addressed.
- Alcohol is a big problem. Public Health (Alcohol) Bill is coming.
- Survivorship Care is fragmented and depends on one’s location.
- Model of Care protocol needs to be developed.
- Cancer Support Centres offer opportunities to share and care.
- Cancer survivors need physical, psychological and social care.
- Cancer Support Groups can provide this.